Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Family time

When I picture family time, I picture leave it to beaver. You know the family long since gone sitting around by a fire playing board games, while the children asked Ma and Pa for one more game before bed. It would seem to me that family time is a tradition that has suffered the same fate as the Elvis. I won't go into details but it wasn't pretty. Anyway, it is an interesting time to be raising children. With so much technology around us, the question is do we embrace it or not? My wife and I have tried to have family time. We have an endless collection of board games, and yet family time was still a rarity.

For Christmas after many letters to Santa we decided that we as a family would ask Santa for a new X-box with Kinect. This would be the first year that as a family we asked for the same present. And much to our delight Santa obliged our wish. On Christmas morning the children opened up a brand new X-box with Kinect. The smell of brand new plastic filled the room.

Now I must explain what this big deal is with the Kinect. The Kinect allows for the players of the X-box to play with no controllers. Even I have to admit it is very cool!! Now back to Christmas morning. Once the console was set up and turned on for the first time the magic began. The games we bought had table tennis, rafting, and other fun stuff. We have had more time spent as a family with this new game that we have in a long time.  We have laughed together, cried together (that would be me losing) and just had a good time overall.

I guess tech toys aren't so bad after all. Thank you Santa!

1 comment:

  1. So true, so true. The tears were sad ... especially after I kicked your butt in table tennis :-)

    It's been amazing how much time we've spent together ... and how much time Em and Brett have spent together. With an age gap like theirs it's sometimes difficult for them to find common ground and this has definitely helped.

    Now, that said, I don't want to give up on traditional family time but this definitely enhances it.

    I love you honey - and thank you Santa!!

    ReplyDelete