Monday, January 3, 2011

Looking out for #1

When you are a child you are often taught to look out for yourself. Good in theory for sure. As we grow we need to learn to be self reliant, to take care of your self. Go to school get good grades. When you are done school go to post secondary, graduate from there. Get a good career save money for when you get old, cause really if you don't do it for yourself who else will?

I often hear the cliche look our for #1, but who is this #1 anyway? I know it is supposed to be about your three best friends you know Me, Myself, and I. I just want to throw this out there. What if that phrase is garbage? Just think about it for one second. Isn't that the problem with the world today? society has become very egocentric. I know I encounter this every time I get into the car to drive. For myself when I get behind the wheel I am the most important person on the road. God help you if you get in my way. I don't let other drivers get in front of me, I honk, I get angry. I think it is safe to assume that most of you reading are the same way being that most of this people on the road act the same way.

What if we changed our mindset? What if we put others first? Not on the surface, not just giving your small donation to a charity so it makes you feel good. What if as a society and dare I say it as a world wide population put others first? If we no longer competed in the "rat race" to hoard wealth, but worked to make sure everyone had what they needed. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if no one worked endless hours to just get by. What if we lived our lives for others. I can't help but think that if we lived to better others we would be closer to ending homelessness, ending poverty, making sure that third world nations have what they need and more.

What a wonderful world it would be if #1 was you and not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment